Troubleshooting Excel 2010 UI Automation
If you are using Excel 2010 and Power Query datasources Power Update needs to perform UI automation.
If UI automation fails for some reason please try the common resolutions below:
Check if you can manually refresh the workbook and make sure all connections are working.
If it’s a temporary / intermittent issue during refreshing connections, set the Retry Count and Retry wait settings in the Advanced Settings page of the task wizard (e.g. Retry Count: 5, Retry Wait: 5 min). If the Refresh hangs sometimes, also set up the following settings in Advanced Properties\Settings:
- Stop the taks if runs longer than X minutes (based on the normal run time)
- If the task fails restart every X minutes (if the refresh issue is caused by a network problem leave a few minutes for it to recover)
- Disable and custom DPI (text scale) settings in windows, and make sure that the resolution is at least 1024 x 768
- Check Options\Disable Parallel Tasks
- Try increasing the WaitUIRetry, RetryCount and RetryWait (ms) settings in C:\Program Files\PowerPlanner\Power Update\PQRefresh.exe.config (copy the file to desktop, change setting in notepad, save, and copy it back).
- If the task succeeds but the data is not updated, try increasing the WaitBeforeSave, WaitAfterRefresh, WaitBeforeClose (ms) settings in C:\Program Files\PowerPlanner\Power Update\PQRefresh.exe.config (copy the file to desktop, change setting in notepad, save, and copy it back)
- If you get a RPC_E_DISCONNECTED or RPC_E_CALL_REJECTED error refer to the related article
- If the above doesn’t resolve the issue, contact us and send us the:
– C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\Temp\PU.log, PU_UI.log files
– C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\Power Update\Settings.xml file
– Power Update version in Control Panel\Programs\Power Update\Version
– Excel version